Subscribe now

Friday, December 5, 2014

How having a pet enriched my life...




Everyone knows that having a pet will enhance your life, increase your interpersonal connections and improve your health. Well, maybe you didn't know. I remember reading the health benefits of having a pet years ago but I had never experienced it for myself. I didn't really understand, until the day I met Laila. 

Today is my Princess Laila's birthday. She turned 5 years old today. My life has been more enriched since I got her at the tender age of only 10 weeks. 

Let me share with you our story...

I was living in Ohio after Hurricane Katrina hit my hometown...New Orleans. I was then managing a hair salon. I knew exactly one year in advance that I'd be moving to Florida. I had it all mapped out in my head. I wasn't fond of the climate there, so I knew it would be a temporary stay. 

I didn't realize at the time, I was using the law of attraction to get the things I wanted, but I was. 

I asked every one of my clients, "can you see me living in Florida, riding in my convertible with a toy poodle on my lap?" All responded, "absolutely." At the time, I drove a mini van, as it was durable for the weather conditions. 

A year later, I made my way to Florida, just as planned. Again, got a job managing another salon, oh and I got my convertible:)

A client told me about a breeding store down the street. I quickly called them, inquiring about their poodles. I needed a hypoallergenic dog because of my allergies.

They informed me, they never breed poodles...EVER. I cannot express the disappointment I felt to hear that. I then, put my name on several lists to receive a callback if these organizations should get in what I was specifically looking for. No one called over a period of a few months.

One day thereafter, I drove past the breeding store again. My inner voice told me to call them back. My thinking was to maybe, give them my name and number in the event they ran across a poodle. 

Here's how the conversation went...

Me: Hi, I called a few months back, inquiring about purchasing a poodle from you guys and was informed, you don't breed poodles; so...if I could give you my name and...num...

Pet store lady: I remember you! This is very unusual because we don't normally get poodles, but we have one here now.

My car: SCREECH...

I turned that car around so fast, backtracking to the store. 

There she was...

I know, with every fiber of my being, she was meant for only me. When I saw her, it was love at first sight.

I immediately dished out $600 and off we went into the sunset. I tried to adopt but there aren't many poodles available for adoption. There was one at the Humane society that I remember, but he was blind. This would've been my very first pet and I just wasn't ready to take on that kind of responsibility. (DONT JUDGE ME)

I must say, our personalities are perfect together. She's a little lover, just like me. She loves lots of attention and I LOVE giving it to her. Yes, I dress her up in all sorts of pretty dresses, hair bows and accessories. She has a car seat, stroller and many beds throughout the house; amongst other pleasures.

She's the daughter I've always wanted and I am so completely fulfilled waking up, seeing her face and waging tail in the morning, evening and night. 

Wow!!!

Maybe you have to be a dog owner to understand the kind of affection we share; or, maybe not.; I don't know. 

Anyhoo, she's five today and I'm just as in love as the first day I met her. 

Xoxo, Susanna
*Owning a pet is only one of many ways to help you Live Well to 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment